Happy Friday, and happy Gezellig Hour, everyone! While 5 o'clock is still hours away as type, I promise you, the Autumn-rita is something to look forward to all day. The lime and ice deliver traditional margarita refreshment, but the ginger, cinnamon, peppercorns and cardamom will envelop your taste-buds with flavors irrevocably autumn. Let's get in the seasonal spirit...
Ingredients (for 1):
3 oz Reposado Tequila (I used Hornitos. Using a repasdo as opposed to a Silver (Blanco, Plata etc.) or Gold is very important, dare I say critical. The intensity and sharpness, combined with the shallow flavor profile of an un-aged tequila will not blend well with the spices in this drink, learn more about tequila here)
Juice of 1/2 a lime
3 dashes bitters
1/8 cup cinnamon-sugar for garnish
lime slice for garnish
3 oz spiced simple syrup (see below)
Ginger - a thumb sized piece, peeled and chopped
4 cardamon pods, lightly crushed
3 cinnamon sticks
1.5 cups of water
.75 cups sugar
1) Combine water, ginger, peppercorns, cardamon pods, cinnamon sticks and sugar in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and cook until the sugar is dissolved. Allow ingredients to steep for at least 1 hour. Strain solids out and allow to cool.
2) Run lime wedge along a portion of the rim of the glass.
3) Pour cinnamon-sugar mixture in a small plate
4) Gently roll the rim of the glass in the cinnamon-sugar (like salting a margarita glass, but with cinnamon-sugar!)
2) Combine tequila, lime juice, bitters and ice in a cocktail shaker and shake until chilled. Pour in the sugared glass, add ice and garnish with a lime.
If you try this recipe, please let me know in the comments! Also, starting next Friday, the are some Dutch-inspired elements coming in to Gezellig Hour, I can't wait to share
Proost and have a great weekend!
This recipe was inspired by Bobby Flay.